Saturday, July 19, 2008

Becoming a Scot: Step 1 -Eating Haggis




OOOK....I did it. For the long months leading up to my trip almost everyone would ask me, in a poor scottish accent, "are yooo goin' to eat some haggis???"

Well....yes....and I did. Went to "The Last Drop" pub again where the service is good and they have a really nice student rate...and a great Latte. I went by myself the day prior but today I brough along the two Sams and Rachel. They all go a pasta dish and I had my eye set on the inevitable...HAGGIS....with tatties (mashed potatoes) and Neeps (mashed turnips). 

I'm still not all certain what was in it, but to much my surprise, it was REALLY good. I actually think you could market it in the US and just not call it Haggis...The looks are bad as well, but a fork full of the spicy stuff mixed with a little neeps...YUM!!!

We also started the day in Dunbar at the town's Harbor Festival. Like many Ohio festivals, there was an Elvis impersonator and the smell of fried everything. Unlike Ohio, however, the festival came with a nice view of the North Sea. 

On the way into Edinburgh, while we were running to catch the train...a Rainbow popped up, like they normally do here, and landed on my future country estate outside of Musselburgh....please feel free to donate to this charitable cause. 

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At July 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe my son ate that stuff! God love ya', you're braver than I'll ever be!

 
At July 20, 2008 at 5:48 AM , Blogger Robin said...

way to go on eating the Haggis. glad you liked it. love the posted photos as always.

 
At July 20, 2008 at 8:06 AM , Blogger alias said...

I definitely need to try Haggis now! The pictures are gorgeous! I'm so jealous of the views that surround you!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home